Little Things to Try When You’re Feeling Anxious at Work
Up against a strict deadline and not sure you’ll get it all done in time? Recently received a promotion and nervous about how you’ll perform? Maybe you just work in a high-stress position that leaves you feeling on edge most of the time? Whatever the case may be, feeling anxious at work can consume you if you’re not proactive about it. Eventually, you may find it difficult to get through the day or hard to concentrate. Then, your performance starts to decline and you’re taking it out on others and up all night.
Sound familiar? Workplace anxiety is very common these days. From entry-level employees on up to CEOs and business owners, feeling the pressures and demands of work can weigh heavily on your psyche. The good news is, however, that lots of folks experience this and have developed simple practices that help them manage their anxieties and get through the day.
- Start Your Morning Right – If you’re getting up at the last minute and rushing to work each day this only adds to your anxiety and frustration. Try to start each day off right. Get up early, meditate, have a decent meal, talk with your loved ones, exercise, and then get ready for work.
- Arrive Early – When you’re up against deadlines, responsible for managing others, or just in a stressful position showing up to the office right when it’s time for you to clock in can be stressful. Now you have to adjust yourself from being out in traffic to hit the ground running. Try to arrive 15 or even 30 minutes early to work to give yourself time to prepare for the day’s events.
- Snack on an Edible – While it would be insane to start munching on an edible that would have you high and get you in trouble at work, CBD edibles are different. Extracted from the hemp plant CBD has calming effects that reduce anxiety and increases focus. What’s great is the only cbd edible side effects are dry mouth so you don’t have to worry too much. Does cbd show up drug tests? You don’t have to worry there either as edibles containing only CBD (and not THC) do not show up on drug screenings.
- Get Organized – If you’re walking into a desk piled with file folders, paperwork, and a bunch of other crap your mind is going to go crazy. You can relieve some of your anxiety at work by getting organized. Place folders in well-labeled bins, make sure the computer area is free from clutter and try to reduce the madness going on at your desk.
- Take Breaks – Frequent breaks throughout the workday are necessary to your mental health. When feeling anxious it’s time to step back and gather yourself. Take a walk around your place of business, socialize with coworkers about something unrelated to work, go to the breakroom and get yourself a mood-boosting snack, or go sit in your car for a moment and cool off.
- Ask for Help – Sometimes workplace anxiety happens because you’re nervous about an upcoming deadline or a bit stressed about a project, that passes once the job is complete. However, for some workers, the anxiety never leaves. If you’re always feeling anxious at work you should determine what your triggers are and try to work through them. If you need assistance, your employer should be more than willing to help lighten the load.
Feeling anxious about work happens on occasion to everyone. However, if those anxieties start to hinder your ability to do your job or spill over into your personal life it is imperative to make some changes. You can start with the suggestions listed above to see if it makes a difference. If after a few days you don’t feel any resolve, it may be necessary for you to speak with your doctor or therapist about your anxiety and other solutions for treatment.